76A: God is Known Among His People
- The following article is from the Psalter Hymnal Handbook.
Praise for God's mighty deliverance of Zion.
st. l = vv. 1-3
st. 2 = vv. 4-7
st. 3 = vv. 8-10
st. 4 = vv. 11-12
Ancient tradition suggests that this psalm was composed after the destruction of Sennacherib's army outside Jerusalem (2 Kings 19:35). The psalm's main theme develops in the opening and closing stanzas (vv. 1-3, 11-12; st. 1, 4): God defends Zion and makes his name known; God requires commitment, worship, and praise, even from the kings of the earth. The seven Hebrew lines (vv. 4-10) that link the psalm's framing verses celebrate God's awesome act of judgment that brought relief to Zion: God's unequaled power overcomes human might (st. 2), and not even human hostility can frustrate the plans of the God who pronounces judgment from heaven (st. 3). The theme of God's protection of Zion links this psalm with 46 and 48 (see also 84, 87, 122, 125, and 137). The versification is significantly revised from that in the 1912 Psalter.
Beginning of worship; celebrations of God's victories over the enemies of his kingdom.
- Visit hymnary.org for more information on this song and additional resources.
- The following are alternative accompaniments for this tune, LAUDA ANIMA
Alternative Harmonization for Organ and Descant Resources:
- Archer, Malcolm. After the Last Verse. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0 86209 502 6 
- Burkhardt, Michael As Though the Whole Creation Cried vol. 2. Morningstar MSM-10-606 
- Fedak, Alfred V. Hymn Intonations Preludes and Free Harmonizations. Vol III. Selah 160-723 
- Ferguson, John. Hymn Harmonizations for Organ. bk. 3 Ludwig O-10 
- Mawby, Colin. Hymns for Occasions. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0-86209-568-9 
- Noble, T. Tertius. Fifty Free Organ Accompaniments to Well-Known Hymn Tunes. J. Fischer 8430 
- Rawsthorne, Noel. 200 Last Verses. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0 86209 189 6 
- Shaw, Geoffrey. The Descant Hymn Book bk 2. Novello
- Sowerby, Leo. Ten Hymn Tune Descants. H.W.Grey CMR 2838 
Alternative Harmonization for Piano:
- Hopson, Hal H. The Creative Use of the Piano in Worship. Hope 8392 
- Porter, Rachel Trelstad. Let It Rip! At the Piano. Augsburg 11-11045 
- Words: Psalter, 1912; Psalter Hymnal, 1987, rev. © 1987 Faith Alive Christian Resources
- Music (LAUDA ANIMA 126.96.36.199.8.7): John Goss, 1869, P.D.
- Reprint Information: